Monday, June 9, 2008

Stone Groove- Showstopper by Iron Knowledge


Here's a heavy funk rock jam off the "Chains and Black Exhaust" compilation.  The de tuned or baritone guitar really sounds like muscle engine hi octane driving to get coke in the middle of the night.  I came across this track through my friend Nicole who does Rococo Vinyl in Chi town. The Icarus Line crashed at her pad for a few days last summer in the middle of the Black Lives tour. While admiring the Nazi memorabilia Nicole and her boyfriend keep to decorate their otherwise jewish town home, I hit it off with her little brother. He sings in a thrash out band called KK rampage.  Next day before left town he shows up with three burn cds full of funk/rock gold. We listened to these cds all the way back on a 30 hour drive to Los Angeles.  Thanks for the little sanity band aid my man! This Iron Knowledge track has got to be on of my favorite of a comp of  some really dirty shit. From what i was told, the guy who put this comp together ran around the east coast raiding families record collections and put the best tracks together. Hear it bang!


SHOWSTOPPER BY IRON KNOWLEDGE


2 comments:

Basil B said...

Joe--just so you know--2 of my friends from Memphis and 1 of their friends from Chicago found a load of records in Mississippi and Chicago,compiled the hits and and put out this amazingly gritty comp. I went to the release in Memphis maybe 5 years ago and got a free copy. Whenever I have people over, I play it to much delight. They want to remain anonymous but I will say they had a collective called Memphix. I hate I missed you guys at the Annex in NYC--I hope come back soon.

Albert Melfo said...

Hi Joe -- don't know what possessed me to do so, but I just googled "Iron Knowledge" and landed on your page. The band did a benefit concert years ago in Cleveland, like, late 80's -- and after the show, they crashed at my apartment. Pretty cool.

ADM